Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pick the Pontiff



Earlier today I received an intriguing proposition.  I think you’ll find that the contents of this prop are quite topical; you’ll also begin to understand that my friends and I may have a gambling addiction… 

Email from College Roommate Benedict the 2nd
I am in no way shape or form responsible for his typo’s/grammatical errors.  He studied Engineering and writes at a 5th grade level.

“Gentlemen,
I know you are all very excited about what will happen with the resignation of the Pope.  I am sure many of you have already been looking for Fantasy Pope leagues on ESPN, Yahoo, or the the Vatican website. Like you, I have not been able to find anything.

I have decided to put together a pool similar to the Masters pool we did last year.  Below are a list of the top Pope contenders.  I have tried to split them up into 3 tiers.  Tier one pretty much includes all of our favorites and I am sure you guys will recognize most of the names.  The second tier includes some established clergy, but most have been in some of the smaller less flashing archdiocese around the world.  The third tier consists of a few "Hail Marys."  These are the long shots, but picking one of these could generate a great upset and some serious bragging rights.

I am still trying to work out the details, but I think the best way is to pick one from each category.  I know there might be some duplicates, so please also note the number of days it will take the Conclave of Cardinals to make their decision. To make things easy, there will only be one payout for picking the winner (ties broken with the number of days).

When the white smoke comes and the Pope is announced, I am sure my wife can get something going in the crock pot and we can get everyone over to watch the first mass.  Good Luck!

Tier 1
Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson
Cardinal Marc Ouellet
Cardinal Francis Arinze
Cardinal Angelo Scola
Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga
Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio

Tier 2
Cardinal Leonardo Sandri
Cardinal Claudio Hummes
Cardinal Wilfred Fox Napier
Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi
Archbishop Raymond Burke
Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera
Archbishop Gianfranco Ravasi
Cardinal Timothy Dolan

Tier 3
Cardinal Camillo Ruini
Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn
Cardinal Ivan Dias
Cardinal Francisco Javier Errazuriz Ossa
Cardinal William Levada
Cardinal George Pell
Monsignor Pietro Parolin
Thee Ray Lewis

let me know if you have any questions. 

Peace be with you!”

with your spirit,
-McQ


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment